Online streaming platforms have really taken the digital media by storm during the coronavirus pandemic. A host of web-series and newly released movies that are up on platforms like Netlflix, Amazon Prime and ZEE5 are keeping the Indian audience hooked to their mobile and TV screens. Here are 10 best web-series from the world of animation, fiction, and real-life incidents that one can binge watch during the lockdown.
1.Money Heist (Netflix): This Spanish television set crime drama is filmed at Madrid, Spain. The plot revolves around two perfect robberies in Spanish history, led by a mysterious man called ‘The Professor’. He recruits eight people, who choose cities for code-names, to carry out an ambitious plan of entering the Royal Mint of Spain, and escaping with a whopping €2.4 billion. Part 1 and 2 of Money heist were filmed at Greater Madrid and significant portions of part 3 were shot at Panama, Thailand, and Florence in Italy.
2. Panchayat (Amazon Prime): This comedy drama features legendary actors like Neena Gupta and Raghubir Yadav. Panchayat showcases the journey of an engineering student, who, due to lack of better job opportunities, joins as a secretary of a panchayat office in a remote village of Fulera in Ballia district of Uttar Pradesh. The lead role is played by Jitendra Kumar. Watch it for a real laughter therapy.
3. Jamtara (Netflix): A recent release by Netflix, Jamtara- Sabka Number Ayega, showcases how young gangs fraudulently call people to illegally and criminally take money from their bank accounts. The series reflects true events and throws light on the increasing cases of bank fraud in recent times. The two main actors are Amit Sial and Dibyendu Bhattacharya.
4. Inside Edge (Amazon Prime): This Indian sports-drama web TV series happened to be the first Hindi language web series distributed by Amazon Originals. The plot revolves around Mumbai Mavericks, a fictional T20 cricket team, whose owners operate a league-wide spot fixing syndicate. It features popular actors like Vivek Oberoi, Richa Chaddha, Sayani Gupta, and Angad Bedi. The latest season, i.e. Season 2, was released in December 2019.
5. Mentalhood (ZEE5): This recent release is a must watch to cheer up during quarantine. Bollywood star Karishma Kapoor marks her debut in web series with Mentalhood. The 10-episode series marks the unique shades of motherhood where six supermoms from south Mumbai leave no stone unturned to lead the race and raise their children in the best possible manner. This series makes one laugh, cry, think and again rejoice.
6.Stage of Seize: This ZEE5 Original series is a gripping crime thriller centered around 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks. It throws light on the lesser known facts and challenges faced by the NSG commandos in the rescue operation. This show brings back the memories of films, documentaries and stories based on the Mumbai terror attacks that we have watched.
7. Disenchantment (Netflix): It is an American fantasy animated sitcom created by Matt Groening. It is set in the medieval fantasy kingdom of Dreamland. It follows the story of Bean, a rebellious and alcoholic princess, her naive elf companion Elfo, and her destructive “personal demon” named Luci. The first episode of the series was released on August 2018.
8. Ultimate Spiderman (Hotstar): This is an ideal watch for kids and adults alike during this lockdown. Aired on Disney + Hotstar, Ultimate Spiderman’s story revolves around Spiderman’s greatest enemies who made a comeback. To fight against them, Spiderman needs a new team and sets up one that includes him along with Agent venom, Iron Spider and Scarlet Spider.
9. Sofia The First (Hotstar): This anime web-series revolves around Sofia, an adventurous little girl, who becomes a princess overnight, after her mother marries a king. She later goes on to realize that looking like a princess is not difficult, but making other special is what takes all the toil.
10. Made in Heaven (Amazon prime): Wedding plans got cancelled due to the lockdown? Don’t worry. The feel of lavish Indian weddings with all band baaja baarat can be enjoyed at home, because Zoya Akhtar and Reema Kagti’s Made in Heaven is all things flowery. It revolves around two wedding planners, who run a Delhi based wedding planning agency called ‘Made in Heaven’. It beautifully portrays how old and new traditions of Indian society jostles with modern aspirations against the backdrop of big fat Indian weddings.
Stay home, stay safe and binge watch these top 10 webseries for fun and thrill.